Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Optical Diffraction Day



Yesterday in the lab we used many slides with patterns (lines, dots, etc..) to produce diffraction patterns with a laser beam. We measured the distance between the slide and the screen, the distance between the constructively interfered waves and with that we calculated the spacing between the lines in the slide (using Bragg's Law).


I used an optical microscope to check if the spacing was calculated properly, but I could not do this because we needed a calibration standard and we didn't have it (I actually tried to use a ruler as calibration standard but in this way my values were not the same).


Other students used the STM, AFM and nanoindenter...


I'm not in the pictures because I'm holding the camera, and Deb went somewhere when I took the pictures.

No comments: